Jump to Navigation

What Are the Vocational Rehabilitation Rights of Injured Workers?

Back injuries and repetitive motion injuries such as carpel tunnel syndrome are among the most common work-related injuries for which workers' compensation benefits are paid. Contact an attorney to determine whether you have a valid claim.

What You Should Know if You Were Injured on the Job

Anyone who is injured in the service of their employer is entitled to receive workers' compensation benefits. It doesn't matter if you were on your employer's premises, and it doesn't matter if you violated a safety violation to cause the injury: you are entitled to receive workers' comp.

At Kiel & Trueax, LLC, our attorneys can help you recover it. For more information about our work comp practice, view the following pages:

To schedule a free consultation with a lawyer at Kiel & Trueax, LLC, call 303-694-2666 or contact our offices online. For detailed information about the workers' compensation law, continue reading below.

Thank you for contacting us. As appropriate, we will reply back to you as soon as possible.

Call us now

or use the form below.

Our attorneys are among the most experienced personal injury trial lawyers serving the Denver, Colorado, region. We believe that every client deserves the best possible representation we can provide, and we do everything we can to maximize the value of every claim.

We emphasize the value of open communication between attorneys and clients. Often, the number one complaint about lawyers is that they don't return phone calls. We continually update our clients about the progress in their case, and we strive to respond to all messages and questions within 24 hours.

What Are the Vocational Rehabilitation Rights of Injured Workers?

Vocational rehabilitation is the process of rebuilding work skills as part of recovering from an injury or illness. Sometimes an injured individual can eventually return to his or her previous job. If an injury places long-term or permanent limitations upon the person, retraining for a new type of job may be necessary. Depending upon the law of your state, if you require vocational rehabilitation after a job injury or industrial illness, your employer or its workers' compensation insurer, or the state, or some combination of these three resources may be required to pay for your vocational rehabilitation services as part of your workers' compensation benefits.

If you or a loved one was injured or sickened on the job, consult an attorney as soon as possible at Kiel & Trueax, LLC in Greenwood Village, Colorado, to learn what types of workers' compensation benefits are available, including vocational rehabilitation.

Examples of vocational rehabilitation

The amount and types of vocational rehabilitation provided to injured employees vary from state to state. Some of the vocational-rehabilitation services to which an injured worker may be entitled include:

  • On-the-job training
  • Transferable-skills analysis and testing
  • Resume and job-application services
  • Interview coaching
  • Labor-market surveys
  • Job analyses
  • Job-search assistance
  • Wage-assessment evaluations
  • Counseling
  • Ergonomics assessment
  • Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) reasonable-accommodation assistance
  • Education and tuition payments for retraining

The actual vocational-rehabilitation benefits to which an injured employee will be entitled are determined not only by the employee's specific situation, but also by state statutory and regulatory limitations.

Employee responsibility

In many states, employees have a responsibility to accept appropriate vocational rehabilitation services. Inherent in this responsibility is the requirement that the employee cooperate with vocational-rehabilitation efforts and make a valid attempt to return to suitable employment. Other states have different types of requirements. In certain states, for example, an injured employee is not required to participate in either physical rehabilitation or vocational rehabilitation, but a refusal to participate may affect eligibility for other workers' compensation benefits.

Warning to employees: Depending on the state, if an employee does not cooperate with rehabilitation service providers, the workers' compensation carrier may reduce, if not suspend, wage-loss benefits during the time the employee refuses services. There may also be other negative consequences.

Employer responsibility

Employers or their workers' compensation carriers may have statutory and regulatory responsibilities related to vocational rehabilitation. For example, a state may require an employer to offer rehabilitation counseling services to any employee who has injuries that result in a particular amount of lost time from work and the offer must be made within a certain number of days after the threshold has been reached. The details of such requirements may vary depending on the type of injury.

In some states, an employer may be required to pay for items such as tuition, living expenses, room and board, child-care expenses and travel expenses in addition to regular wage-loss benefits while an employee is participating in certain vocational-rehabilitation programs. Sometimes only specifically qualified individuals are allowed to provide vocational rehabilitation assistance to injured workers. For example, only individuals who are Certified Rehabilitation Counselors (CRCs), Certified Disability Management Specialists (CDMSs) or Certified Case Managers (CCMs) may provide vocational-rehabilitation assistance to injured employees in some jurisdictions.

Speak to a workers' compensation lawyer

The laws regarding the vocational-rehabilitation responsibilities of employers, insurers and claimants vary by state. If you or a loved one has a work-related injury or disease, a lawyer at Kiel & Trueax, LLC in Greenwood Village, Colorado, can answer your questions about the right to vocational rehabilitation.

Copyright © 2018 FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business

DISCLAIMER: This site and any information contained herein are intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Seek competent legal counsel for advice on any legal matter.

Back to Main